There is a ranch and camp here. The camp isn’t considered a river camp (not even marked on the USFS camping list) and is used by those driving in.
On March 17, 1933, just two weeks after taking office, President Roosevelt sent legislation to Congress creating the Civilian Conservation Corp. Establishment of the CC created thousands of jobs involving conservation projects across the country. Along the Salmon, it meant building roads. One of the roads went from Elk City to Little Mallard Creek. It was down this route that supplies were brought to the river and floated to Campbells Ferry for construction of the bridge completed in 1956. World War II brought an end to the CCC program and spared the canyon from having a road parallel its entire length, the objective of crews coming up river from Riggins and down river from North Fork.