About Navajo Bridge
The Navajo Bridge(s) are a historically significant crossing point on the Grand Canyon. Prior to the construction of the original bridge, crossings in this region had to be done at Lee’s Ferry, 4.5 miles upstream. The ferry crossings were impacted heavily by variable flows – hence the need for a bridge to be constructed.
Construction for the original bridge began in 1927 and was completed in 1929. The original bridge has a maximum height of 467 feet and is 834 feet long. A newer, wider bridge was completed in 1995. The original bridge is left standing and is a great place to overlook the river prior to the start of a trip down the GC.
Passing the Navajo Bridge marks the end of the no camping restriction that starts at the Paria River confluence at mile 0.9.